Created on Sunday, 29 June 2014 01:02
Did you know that the choice of janitorial service is an important factor in the Greening of your company? It helps to know that the indoor air quality (IAQ) is one of the basic issues for a Green office or building.
First of all, it may help to point out that the best definition for Green is the “Health Impact” of our actions. Green is been stretched to mean anything environmental, but is is best understood as a health concern. Sustainability refers to management of our resources.
The cleaning supplies, vacuums, and cleaning processes play a major part in a building’s indoor air quality.
- VOC PROBLEM: Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are emitted by many cleaning products. In fact, most of the cleaning products that you can smell are often VOC concerns. Bleach and ammonia, for example are common cleaning products that emit VOCs.
- MICROFIBER CLOTHS: Normal cleaning clothes mostly move dust and dirt around. Microfiber cloths actually trap and remove dirt from the room.
- HEPA VACUUMS: Standard vacuums blow the collected dirt back into the air taking out only the heavier particles. Your service should have HEPA vacuums that actually help clean the air.
- AIR POLLUTION: Pesticides, ammonia-based window cleaners, acid bowl cleaners are also part of the offending items. Ozone depleting chemicals are another problem. Floor stripper and finishes are often very VOC heavy processes that should be improved.
- GREEN CERTIFICATION: Place a Green Certification clause in all RFPs and bid requirements. If the janitorial service is Green Clean Certified by a national organization, the chances of a better office will improve